On the Seventh Day of Christmas...

"On the Seventh day of Christmas, the spinster gave to me, seven swans a swimming, six geese a laying, fiiiiiive golden rings. Four calling birds, three french hens, two turtle doves, and a portrait of a pear and me."

The seven swans a swimming is, of course, especially close to my heart since I'm from Sumter, SC, home of a pair of every kind of swan in the world. There are, in fact, more than seven kinds.

Now, we've talked about all the animal hoarding that's been going on in this song, and the seventh day of Christmas only serves to exasperate the problem. My guess is that the woman who receives all these swans (a-swimming, no less) would have to live on some property that had a pond. So, either she lives in a rural area, or she's very, very wealthy.

In case anyone reading this is planning on wooing me on this seventh day of Christmas, please let me be absolutely clear: I would not like seven swans a-swimming. I don't think the pool at my apartment complex could accommodate them.

Popular Posts