On the Eleventh Day of Christmas….

"On the eleventh day of christmas, the spinster gave to me eleven pipers piping, ten lords-a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids-a-milking, seven swans-a-swimming, six geese-a-laying, fiiiiive golden rings, four calling birds, three french hens, two turtle doves, and a portrait of a pear and me"

So, I had to do a little research on what instrument a pipe actually is. Google wasn't really helping me out, so I consulted my favorite musicologist, Leah Harrison, to get to the bottom of what this instrument actually was. Among her suggestions was a recorder. Now, I'm sure you've all played a recorder at some time or other, probably when you were in elementary school. I want you to imagine today, though, that this recorder is being skillfully played by the lovely man in the gif. It is, after all, Christmas eve!

Merry (early) Christmas to you all!

Popular Posts