Gift Guide: Teenage Girl

Much like now, I had very particular tastes as a teenage girl. I have to admit that I am no longer a teenager, and potentially am no-longer plugged into what the girls are into these days. I know they like One Direction, but does every teenage girl like them? Who can say, really? All I know is that I'm dating all of the band members, so back off.

Anyway, today is my crack at what to give a teen girl without completely insulting her sensibilities and individuality. Let's be real, though, there's great potential that'll happen anyway. Here goes…

1. The Iron Fey Boxed Set: Amazon, $31.78
          For this choice, I consulted one Miss Alexandra Lubensky, the girl I know who reads the most and most-varied books. For Young Adult reads, she suggests The Iron Fey series. I'd say Alex's recommendation is about as good as you can get.

2. Champion Tile Keds: Keds, $50
          If Tavi Gevinson is to be believed, teen girls these days like Keds. If you ask me, these are a pretty cute pair.

3. Aeire Fair Isle Cold Weather Gift Set: Aerie, $44.95
          This gift set comes with a soft faux-sherpa-lined snood and gluttons (fingerless gloves that turn into mittens). It even comes in its own gift box!

4. Holiday Bobby Pin Set: Anthropologie, $15
          These also remind me of Tavi Gevinson and her sweet, sleek bob. Imagine how cute these could be to pin your bangs back while you take the SAT.

5. Hugo Guinness "Bla Bla Bla" Tee: J.Crew, $49.50
          It's just a cute tee that she can wear with anything. I think "bla bla bla" about sums it up.

6. Twinkle Pink Nail Polish: Walgreens, $4.99
          I love some glitter nail polish. This is a fun multi pink and silver polish, but I think it's hard to go wrong with any glitter polish at all. Especially when it's pink and multi.

7. The Selfie: Urban Outfitters, $20
          This is ingenious if you ask me. Everyone knows teenagers like to take selfless. This just makes it easier. Imagine all the fabulous Frida Kahlo type things your teenage girl could create aided by this magnificent invention.

8. bh cosmetics 120-Shade Eye Shadow Palette: Urban Outfitters, $30
          When I was a teenage girl, my friends and I loved to do makeovers. I can only imagine what kind of craziness we could have created with all these different colors of eyeshadow!

9. Bombay Brown Leather Journal with Tie: Barnes and Noble, $16.95
          I started keeping a journal when I was in fourth grade, but by the time I was in high school, I was filling up pages upon pages a day. The gift of a journal encourages self-reflection and self-expression, not to mention a skill that'll serve your teenager well in college. Plus, this one is so nice and smooth and earthy. She'll feel like Indiana Jones, making notes in the field.

10. Kisspat Hair Chalk: Free People, $24
          If I didn't work in an office, I would be all over this trend in beauty products. When I was in high school, Gwen Stefani had just started dying her hair neon pink, and I wanted pink hair so bad. I didn't get it because it was so permanent back then, but imagine how many different colors I could shave tried if hair chalk had been around!

Happy shopping!

Popular Posts