Spinster Food: Hot Krispy Kreme

hot-krispy-kreme
My mom is a huge Krispy Kreme fan. I, on the other hand, prefer Murray's Donuts, The Doughnut Plant, and after this weekend, Revolution Donuts. This past Sunday morning, though, I woke up with a deep need to know if the Krispy Kreme hot light was on.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Krispy Kreme hot light, let me enlighten you. My mom is the one who taught me about it, as I think it may have been a serious part of her college experience.  Basically, whenever Krispy Kreme is making hot, fresh glazed donuts, they turn this red light on in their window and on their sign that alerts all passers by to the freshness coming from their kitchen conveyor belt.

At about 8:30 AM, I drove down Buford Highway, and I saw the gleaming red beacon of deliciousness in the distance. I veered to the left, and I was in. I had eaten a doughnut the day before, so my thinking was that this extra bit of gluten wouldn't really make me look any more pregnant than I already looked. Inside, I waited for the freshest doughnut to come off the glazing belt, and I got an ice cold chocolate milk to wash it down because that seemed the most appropriate.

In my car, I knew I could wait no longer. I opened the chocolate milk, and embarked upon a journey I haven't made in at least ten years. Spinsters, I am here to tell you that a hot Krispy Kreme is galaxies away from a cold one. To say the glaze melts in your mouth is an understatement. It was like sugarplum ferries were dancing on my tongue. Or at least tiny donut men.

While I thoroughly enjoyed my warm, delicious Krispy Kreme experience, I think the fact that the hot light isn't on all the time is going to be my saving grace. If it were on all the time, I'm not sure I'd be able to fit inside my apartment.

Popular Posts