Spinster Swoon: Gilbert Blythe

If you haven't already read and/or watched The Anne of Green Gables series, go ahead and stop reading this right now and get on that. You can buy the DVD trilogy here. Now that that's out of the way, we can continue.

This probably won't be the last or even the second-to-last post I ever make about Anne of Green Gables, but you have to start somewhere. Among other things, this series features quite a few spinsters, widows, women who married late in life, and otherwise strong non-traditional women. Well, non-traditional for their time, I guess. But today I just want to talk about one Mr. Gilbert Blythe.

Whenever I find myself displeased or just in the doldrums of my life, I need to take a moment and watch Anne of Green Gables. During my first two years of working in the fashion industry, I fell asleep to the movie every night. I cant' even remember the first time I saw it, but I think I could quote the whole thing. Again, go ahead and watch it.

So last night I watched the first half of the first movie with my friend Alexandra, who had never watched it before. And I found myself wholly in love with the sweet, loyal, intelligent, respectful, lovesick Gilbert Blythe once again. If you search for #gilbertblythe on instagram, you'll find images that say things like "never settle for less than Gilbert Blythe," and "Boys in books are just better."

I could go on, but I think I should just let you all go ahead and watch the movie and/or read the book. Because...I don't even think I can do it justice. He's...I'm just going to go ahead and say it....BETTER THAN RYAN GOSLING.

...Not better looking....but just...better.

Ok, that's enough out of me. Enjoy the movie, and fall in love with this guy.

Popular Posts