Spinster Luxury: New Pajamas

When I left work last night, I knew exactly what was going to happen. I would go home, take the leftover ham delights out of the fridge, pour myself a glass of cold Country Time lemonade, change into my pajamas, and eat some dinner on the sofa in front of a couple episodes of "Law and Order." And I knew those ham delights would be waiting for me because there was no one else to take my delicious leftovers from the fridge. Oh, the glory of living alone!

When I got home, I have to admit I started off with a good old episode of "Toddlers and Tiaras," while I ate a couple of cold ham delights. Then, of course, I got down to business making today's illustration in front of "Law and Order." I felt like I wouldn't be telling you the truth if I didn't admit that part. Watching "Toddlers and Tiaras" is a guilty pleasure that really doesn't make me feel all that guilty. If I'm honest, I have to say that every time I watch "Toddlers and Tiaras," I think of how good I would be at embellishing pint-sized pageant dresses. But could I really deal with all those crazy pageant moms?

But on to more important things. As you all know, I am serious about bathrobes and loungewear, and I have been keeping a very keen eye out for a summer loungewear ensemble. This past weekend, shopping with the delightful Leah, I found exactly what I sought. There it was, hanging on a rack at Gap Body in the Queens Center Mall, beckoning to me as if it knew of my love of bed snacks and "The Today Show." It was a 94% Modal, 6% Sandex jersey knit sleep dress with adjustable bra straps, a bit of shirring at the center front seam, an empire waist, and the most delicate bit of creme lace around the neckline. And, wait, what was this? A matching robe!? A knee-length matching robe with 3/4 length kimono sleeves and a self belt?

The moment I saw it and felt the fabric between my fingers, it was as if I'd turned into Wayne Campbell, addressing the camera, saying, "it will be mine; oh yes, it will be mine."

And our first night together was glorious. And in the morning when I arose and slid into the jersey robe, it was as if I'd found my summer home. Well, in fact, I believe I have found my summer home. And whoever thought it could be so small as a matching robe-and-sleep-dress set? Well...I suppose I had an inkling.

Popular Posts