Spinster Party Food: Ginger Jones's Park Avenue Bars

Parties are my best excuse to bake things that aren't dinner. Otherwise, I'll just eat the whole thing. So, the fact that there was a housewarming last night meant I got to try out another one of my favorite recipes.

By now, you should be familiar with the famous Sumterite, Ginger Jones. Since Mrs. Jones is a friend of my mother's, and her daughter Virginia is a friend of mine, I have had the benefit of trying many of her delicious party foods. And today we will talk about one of my very favorites: her Park Avenue Bars:


For the Crust:

What you'll need:

1 Box Duncan Hines Butter Cake Mix
1 Stick of butter (real, softened)
1 egg
1 6 ounce package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup of chopped peacans

What to do:
- Mix first two ingredients with a beater
- Add egg and beat
- add chips and nuts
- Press into greased 13x9 (or close to) brownie pan

For the Topping:

What you'll need:
1 eight ounce cream cheese
2 eggs
1 stick of butter
1 box powdered sugar

What to do:
- Soften cream cheese and butter.
- cream together with a beater
- Add eggs, beat.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time and beat till smooth and a little fluffy.
- spread topping over crust.
- Put in preheated 300degree oven for one hour.
- Let cool for a while and take a spatula and press down the edges. The middle tends to sink, and this keeps the top even.

So, I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! They are one of my very favorite Ginger Jones creations.

Popular Posts