Ooh She Servin' Face

So, like many excellent purchasing decisions begin, over the weekend I was at Target. Because I've just started driving again, all my CD's are from the early 2000's. While I do love this music, I thought I should check out a little something different. The last few times I'd been in Target, they'd been playing a Janelle Monae music video on the TVs in the electronics department. The video was for her song "Q.U.E.E.N.," and there's something just so deliciously retro and incredibly modern about the whole thing all at the same time. And of course I had to buy the album.

Well, I got way more than I thought I was getting. For one thing, it's a 2-disc album. For another, apparently she's presenting her musical catalog in movements. There's a whole story line about droids and robots and the future and a fugitive, and somehow the songs are still excellent apart from all the crazy.

Another one of my favorite numbers is "Dance Apocolyptic," whose video is way stranger and less mod than I thought it would be. Anyway, I'm sure I'm late to the party on Ms. Monae, but if you're also tardy to the party, you should check her out. She has a lovely face, and she's yet another Atlanta Lady!

Popular Posts