Summer Jamz

leah-harrison, fruit-print, peach-print, apple-print, leah-harrison-journalist,
Since I'm out of the country (I love saying that) this weekend, I've asked one of my most musically knowledgeable spinster friends, Leah, to make you a special playlist for posting. Check out her amazing choices and comments below!

(click Here to listen to Leah's Summer Jamz.)
_________

Summer Jamz:


The right soundtrack has the potential to really up the ante on many summer activities, forever associating a beautiful summer memory with a great song. For instance, every time I hear "Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden (you know, at skating rinks and themed parties), my stomach lurches and I think of holding hands with my 6th grade boyfriend. 

With these fresh and airy tunes, you're sure to create some potent remembrances.

1. "Helplessness Blues" by The Fleet Foxes. Because who doesn't wish they had an orchard during the summer?
2. "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys. The theremin--that alien-sounding instrument made famous by this song--is so associated with Halloween, but stick a good bass line and those summer harmonies with it and you've got a hot-weather classic.
3. "Taxi Cab" by Vampire Weekend. The tinkling piano solo in the middle reminds me so much of the harpsichord solo in The Beatles's "In My Life," which is so lovely. 
4. "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk. In case you need a little disco this summer. 
5. "Feel So Good" by MASE. If you were born in the 80s, you will no doubt have some dreadful middle or high school memories associated with this song, but take this opportunity to take it back. It's called reclaiming.
6. While we're listening to awesome songs from the 90s, be sure to pull out "Let Me Clear My Throat" by DJ Kool. It's all in his name.
7. "Holocene" by Bon Iver. I listen to this when I'm trying to prepare beautiful meals for friends. I believe it improves them.
8. "Cecilia" by Simon & Garfunkel. So many drums! So summer worthy.
9. "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself A Letter" by Jimmy Durante**. Considerably older than anything else here, but such a timeless piece. Think dusk, hanging out on a porch with a glass of lemonade.
10. "Cellphone's Dead" by Beck. Every time I listen to this song, the clouds part and I have all the answers to life's questions. Check it out, it'll add to your summer euphoria.

**I had to substitute the Fats Waller Version because I couldn't find the Jimmy Durante Version

Popular Posts