I Keep On Fallin'

Alicia Keys's "Fallin'" has been in my head all day, but it ain't got nothin' to do with love.  No, my friends, it's a little more literal than all that. However, I am pleased the events of this work week so far
have reminded me of one of the biggest songs of my high school career. And How beautiful was Alicia Keys's face in that video? Flawless skin.

But let's get to the real meat of this story. Monday morning, I awoke at around 4 am to use the restroom, and on the way back to bed, I realized I was tumbling to the ground, and as much as I tried to catch my balance, I ended up crashing to the ground with quite a few bumps and thumps. It's jarring to fall all the way down like that, especially when you're a spinster, and you don't have a Life Call around your neck to push that button and scream like heck. Go granny go granny go.

Though I was worried about the noise I caused, crashing to the floor, I didn't actually hurt myself. No, I saved that for today. Around 5:15 AM this morning, some 13 minutes into  my run, I tripped over what seems to have been either nothing or my own foot. Whatever it was, it send me awkwardly hurling toward the sidewalk, heels of my hands out and ready to be skinned. And skinned they were, along with my left knee and, to a lesser extent, my left shin.

My first thought was that I was fairly sure I hadn't skinned my knee since elementary school. What is this, a playground? As much as it hurt, though, I have to admit that most of my concern was whether or not I could count this as a legitimate excuse to stop running and walk home. As much as I talk about running, sometimes I really dont' want to do it. Today was one of those days.

I walked home with blood dripping down my leg, and weirdly, no one would make eye contact with me. The best part of this whole ordeal, though, was clearly that I got to talk to people about it at the office all day. Maybe it is embarrassing, but so is, in some people's opinions, being a spinster.

The moral of this story is two fold:
1. If you're a spinster, get yourself a Life Call. You never know when you're going to need it.
2. Falling down has its advantages. Those advantages may not be worth a scabby knee, but at least you had a good excuse to go home and eat breakfast.


Popular Posts