Audible Spinstering: Jesus Land

I know, I know. You're tired of hearing about all the audiobooks. Bear with me, though. I was a sick little spinster this week. And, if you'd already read The Glass Castle, then maybe you're hankering for something just as crazy. Well, this could be it!

Today's book was yet another memoir and suggestion from my coworker, David. Let me just start out by saying that Jesus Land: A Memoir is full on sad and insane. It's the story of a girl (Julia Scheeres),  her adopted brother David, and their experiences growing up. A large portion of the book takes place in the Dominican Republic at a reform camp called Escuela Caribe. According to a quick Google search, Escuela Caribe is also the subject of a documentary called Kidnapped for Christ, one of whose co-executive producers was none other than Lance Bass.

So, if you're not scared of a little shock and sadness, then I say go for it. I couldn't tear myself away. I'm pretty sure I've only ruined it for you a little.

Popular Posts