Audible Spinstering: The Glass Castle

Jeannette-Walls-Face, Jeannette-Walls-Portrait, The-Glass-Castle
The other day I was standing in the Starbucks line with my coworker David, and we got to talking about my Audible.com addiction. David said he was sure I had read The Glass Castle, but that if I hadn't, he thought it'd be right up my alley. Since I hadn't read it, I went directly to my desk and downloaded the book, put my headphones in, and was rapt for the next two days.

Jeannette Walls's The Glass Castle: A Memoir is an insane trip through Walls's childhood with two irresponsible parents and a whole lot of ingenuity. While some of it is sweet or funny, a lot of it leaves me thinking,"there but for the grace of God go I," especially when she talks about her artistic mother. The audiobook is read by Walls, and her voice is astoundingly upbeat throughout. I almost wanted her to be a little more angry about all the crazy things her mostly unemployed parents did. However, no matter what her tone of voice, I must say that David was absolutely right. This book was amazing, and when it was over, I wanted to hear more.

So, if you're looking for a crazy read that will make you really appreciate having stable and productive parents, I highly recommend The Glass Castle. It knocked my socks off, and I think Oprah liked it, too. And David, if you're reading this, thank you. That was an excellent recommendation.

Popular Posts