Audible Spinstering: Dad Is Fat


The other day I was reading suggestions on Audible.com, and one of the reviewers was saying they couldn't wait for Jim Gaffigan's new book, Food: A Love Story to come out because they loved Dad is Fat so much. Honestly, the title of the new book was what interested me most. I felt it pretty much summed up my relationship with food as well.  The day I read that review, Food: A Love Story wasn't out yet, so I listened to Dad is Fat.

Now, let me preface all of this by saying that prior to reading this book, I was not familiar with Jim Gaffigan's "Hot Pockets" routine. However, when he kept talking about it in the book, I thought I should check it out, and begin a hot pocket lover myself, I didn't actually think it was that funny. Sigh. I hate to say that. I had such high hopes.

Now onto the book. At first blush, the book seems to be a love song to his wife, Jeannie. But as the book progresses, he talks more about her making him sandwiches and cleaning things up, and I just started to have a bad taste in my mouth about his abilities as a human being. I'm sure he meant to poke  fun at himself here, but it came off as just the slightest bit sexist. You can make your own sandwich, sir.

The rest of the book is less about food and more about the Gaffigans having five kids and less than five beds. You can imagine how after The Glass Castle, this might make me feel a little uncomfortable. However, perhaps that's just because I'm not a parent.

In the end, I decided that perhaps I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I had kids. As it stands, it wasn't my favorite, which is sad. I usually like comic essays. This collection, though, was not necessarily for spinsters.

Popular Posts