#26: Dye Your Hair

Now, before you get all bent out of shape here (because I do get bent out of shape when someone suggests I dye my hair), let me first say that you are beautiful just the way you are, and I wouldn't change a thing. This has nothing to do with what I personally think about your hair color. You look great in every way, so don't forget that.

Now that that's settled and you know I'm not sitting here thinking your look horrible with your current hair color (because again, you look magnificent), let's talk about why you should dye it. Basically it comes down to this: sometimes making a drastic change to your personal appearance is just really fun. Dying your hair fortunately does not require any serious lifestyle changes, just a bottle, a shower, or potentially a hair appointment.

A lot of girls I know grew up dying their hair for fun. However, I was always too afraid to do it myself. For the first time, though, this season I have tried it out, and it is, in fact, quite a lot of fun. In high school, I was dying for pink hair like Gwen Stefani, and right about now I wish I was as brave as Nicole Richie with her purple hair, and in all honesty I could do that in my industry without fear of repercussion. This summer, though, I've settled for a little John Frieda Lightening Spray, and I think it's turned out quite nicely.

The thing about dying your hair is this: it's a drastic change you can make that, I think in most cultures, not considered morally wrong. Additionally, it is reversible. You can use color oops, dye over it, or just go to the salon and have a professional take care of it. After all, it's just hair.

Not quite ready for such a big step? I understand. That is why, my friend, I have two suggestions for the faint of heart. The first is that you could buy a wig. To some of you who grew up in less...shall we say...wig-intensive cultures, I can assure you that you can find a pretty good wig for $20 and under. Even if you don't buy one, a trip to a wig shop is an excellent time to play dress up and potentially try out new hair colors before you take the plunge. My second suggestion is hair chalk. This is essentially a way for you to add some fun non-traditional color to your hair without the commitment of actually dying it. This is top on my list of purchases for this weekend. This way I can pretend I'm Nicole Richie without actually having to bleach and dye or have a tramp stamp. Yeah, remember that?

So, get to it, girl! Have some fun with your look. This is a time for reinvention as you celebrate yourself for the whole month of your birthday! (But if you are dying it, I suggest you do it on the weekend...in case it goes horribly wrong).


...Aaaaand...if you need more shopping inspiration for this, click on the Boxagon Box below! There are all kinds of non-permanent options!

Color Your Hair! by Sarah Jones on Boxagon.


Popular Posts