Audible Spinstering: Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

I can't believe I'm writing about yet another audiobook so soon. Alas, this one was quite short.

If you're American and are older than ten years old, chances are you know Mindy Kaling from her stint on The Office. What you may not know, though, is that she wasn't just on-camera talent on that show. She wore a bunch of different hats, including writer. More recently, you may have watched her on The Mindy Project. I'm not going to lie. I haven't seen that show yet, but lots of my friends really like it.

Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) came out in 2012, and I've been meaning to read it ever since. Now that I have read it, part of me wishes I'd read it in a more timely manner. Some of the things now are not necessarily as timely as they were in 2012. (RE: Kaling mentions how much she respects Amy Poehler and Will Arnett's marriage. They're divorced now.)

Aside from some now-outdated things, this book is a lot of fun. Kaling is unabashedly herself - a fun, intelligent, girly, funny, successful woman who also happens to think very seriously about the members of boy bands. Now thirty-six, she is a single woman who admittedly would like to marry and have children. I like that she said that out loud.

Of course there were a few things in this book with which I disagree, but even if I had written the book myself in 2012, there would still be plenty of things with which I could find fault. There were far more parts I enjoyed, like the section where she talks about not understanding one night stands. Amen, Mindy. Amen.

I could go on, but I think you should read the book for yourself. I laughed aloud several times, and that is always an excellent sign.

Happy Thursday and enjoy!

Popular Posts