Ugh...That Soda Machine

I don't know if it's the weather, but yesterday was the strangest day. Well, maybe not the strangest...but definitely off. There were lots of strange factors: my waking up 45 minutes before my alarm, unable to go back to sleep; Miranda's and my getting caught in a sudden downpour on our morning walk; my eyelids feeling so heavy I almost nodded off fifteen minutes into my work day, just to name a few.  The main thing I need to mention, though, is somewhat of an ongoing problem for this Spinster. What is it, you may ask. Well, it's the vending machine at my apartment complex.

During lunch most days, I try to come home and take my best friend, Miranda, for a little walk. She likes to trot around the property and visit her friends in the leasing office. Yesterday, though, with the heaviest eyelids I've had since I snored during a foot massage, I knew I'd need to make a stop at the vending machine at my apartment complex. This machine is a Pepsi machine, which I do not prefer, but it'll do in a pinch. My choices are ranked as follows: Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, and Pepsi in last place. I don't even have any interest in the rest of the machine's contents. I just needed some caffein.

I dropped my eighty-five cents into the coin slot as Miranda looked on, and I proceeded to press the Mountain Dew button. Nothing happened, so I tried Dr. Pepper. Still nothing happened, so I cringed and pressed the regular Pepsi button. I heard the bump, bump, thump of a can coming down the shoot, and I thought to myself, "well, it's better than nothing." Pretty soon I'd be caffeinated and ready to go back to work.

I leaned down to retrieve my prize, anticipating the ice cold energy coming my way, and what did I receive? A caffein-free grape soda. Grape soda? Come on, vending machine!

Out of sheer desperation, I drank the grape soda anyway. Yes, it did taste like carbonated cough syrup, but I needed a pick-me-up, and at least it had sugar. Until that vending machine and I meet again, it is officially my nemesis. Take note, vending machine! The Spinster will strike when you least expect it!

Popular Posts