Try Not To think About It

Ben Folds has a song called "Alice Childress," in which the chorus says "try not to think about it, Alice Childress." While I love the song, anyone who knows me could tell you that I have a hard time not thinking about "it." In this case, my "it" is the magnitude of this move. I'm really trying very hard not to think how big a deal this is for me. I keep reminding myself of all the things I'm excited to see, do, and experience on my new adventure, but if I stop for even a moment to really think about what I'm doing, everything that's happening, I'm all of a sudden awash in an overwhelming sea of emotions so complex, I'm not sure I want to dissect them.

Yesterday, in efforts to keep my mind busy, I cleaned out my drain (disgusting as always), had a shower, washed dishes, photographed my dishwasher, posted the dishwasher for sale on Craigslist, did three weeks' worth of laundry (and somehow managed to forget a few things), ate a bagel, and met my friends Kelly and Rafael for tea at Ciao for Now (how appropriate) in the East Village. Then, I came home and undertook a bit more of a drawing than I usually do for a next-day post (see above).

Kelly was my first real friend in New York. We interned together our first summer in the city, and Kelly was that delightful coworker who was always bringing baked goods into the office. Needless to say, she won my heart. In the years since then, Kelly has contributed to my happiness in ways I wouldnt' have imagined. She's the consummate party hostess, a magnificent and exerimental baker and cook, she throws a mean picnic, and she really knows how to mix people together so that we're always meeting someone new and incredibly interesting. I'm hoping to lure her to the south for a visit.

From the last paragraph, you should not be surprised at all that Kelly introduced me to Rafael. Though I have grafted many of Kelly's friends since, Rafael was the first one I knew I had to have for myself. He's brilliant, hilarious, fashionable, and I just feel like he gets it. I don't know how else to explain it, except to say that Rafael is one of those people who, when you talk to him, you always get the feeling he can totally see where you're coming from and could understand how you'd feel that way. In other words, he's a total keeper.

I feel so blessed and honored to have met both Kelly and Rafael, and as a means of keeping my mind of all that's afoot, I decided to Law and Order Binge last night while I spend longer than I should have on the drawing. In reality, though, it was only about three episodes. That's not so bad.

Stay tuned for more ways I try not to think about the move. It's going to be a good thing.

Popular Posts