Spinster Screening: Me Before You

emilia-clarke, khaleesi, nicholas-sparks, emilia-clarke-gif

***Edit: Apparently Me Before You was written by Jojo Moyes, so...most of this post is wrong. Oops! Sorry, spinsters!***

The movie version of The Notebook came out the summer before my freshman year of college. I cried so hard that I wasn't sure I could handle another Nicholas Sparks movie. I have, until now, avoided them. I can only handle that sort of synthesized emotional upheaval once every decade or so. However, I've been watching Game of Thrones, and when my friend Leslie suggested we see Me Before You yesterday, I agreed because I wanted to see Emilia Clarke in something other than Game of Thrones.

The movie also stars Sam Claflin, whom you might recognize from The Hunger Games as well as Matthew Lewis (AKA Neville Longbottom) from Harry Potter. Also featured are Janet McTeer (since we're keeping on them with YA movies, you'll remember her from the Divergent series) and  my favorite, Brendan Coyle (AKA Mr. Bates) from Downton Abbey. With this cast, I'm not sure how they could've gone wrong.

The story is of a wealthy, once-active paraplegic man whose parents hire a companion/caretaker for him, and of course, since it's Nicholas Sparks, a romance buds. All of this is fairly predictable, but Emilia Clarke is so charming that it all seems fresh.

As usual, I don't want to spoil anything for you. All I will say is that I was crying so hard by the end that I had to use the jacket I was holding in my lap to wipe my eyes and nose. Nicholas Sparks is just too much for me. Like, I know he's cheesy, but somehow he gets me every time. It's like a sneak attack.

Anyway, If you need a good cry, I highly suggest this one. I also suggest it if you want to see Khaleesi being beautiful and charming with brown hair instead of silver.

Ok! That's it. Happy Monday!

Popular Posts