Sidewalk Microwave


Today's illustration is an exercise in laziness. I was too lazy to get up and get a pen, so I left it very sketchy. I was too lazy to use a ruler, so it's a little slanted. Then, I was too lazy to scan it, so I just took a photo. Then, I was too lazy to get up and get my wacom, so I colored this using the trackpad on my laptop. But, I think it conveys what I'm trying to say.

Ok, so yesterday, on a painting break, I was walking Miranda. They've been doing construction at my apartment complex for what feels like forever, making the construction guys seem more like regular employees than contractors. As I passed one guy sitting on the sidewalk, I noticed that he was sitting next to a paint-splattered microwave he had plugged into outdoor power using an industrial extension cord. He was heating his lunch, and I was duly impressed.

From the looks of the microwave, it's been traveling with these guys for a while, so this was not a new idea for them. For me, though, it was a revelation. Why not bring a microwave? If everyone is going to bring lunch from home, then this is a great way for them to save money and eat a hearty lunch on the job. Perhaps we should all have sidewalk microwaves.

Well, I just needed to tell everyone about the genius construction workers at my apartment complex. Happy Thursday!

Popular Posts