Spinster Reading List: Avi's True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle


So, a couple months ago, I was in my childhood bedroom, and I'd forgotten to bring a book. So, I looked in the closet, and I found True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. I remember reading this book for summer reading in middle school (I think), and liking it. For a long time, on surveys when I was asked to name my favorite book, I'd say this one.

The book is small and light, and I believe it falls into the "young adult" category. That means, it's an easy read. What I thought was most interesting, though, was that Avi has somehow managed to capture the thought processes and reasoning of someone Charlotte Doyle's age.

While I think it's weird this author goes by only one name, I do think the writing is fun and interesting. There was a little too much detail about the actual workings and physical construction of a ship. Personally, I feel like I could have done without that. However, I guess if I were in middle school and somehow learning about a ship was useful to me, then perhaps this would be a fun way to learn.

I also would like to say that I wasn't really expecting the ending to be what it was. I will not spoil it for you, but it kind of surprised me. Not in a "what!?!?" kind of way but more like "huh, that's interesting."

All right. That's it for me. Happy Saturday!

Popular Posts