The Spinster at Thirty

thirty-year-old-spinster, thirtieth-birthday, 30th-birthday, 30-year-old-woman, portrait-of-a-woman, heart-necklace

Well, it's happened. I've gone and turned thirty. I can't believe I've been alive this long without figuring out how to be an adult. Case and point: I ate ice cream for breakfast yesterday. But, if it had been my last day on earth, I would have considered that an excellent decision. It wasn't my last day, and still I don't feel that bad about it. 

In the next thirty years of my life, I expect I may get the hang of functional humanity. It may not happen until my fifty-ninth birthday, but hopefully it will happen nonetheless. Aside from the adulthood, though, there are a few other things I think should happen in the next thirty hers. And so, of course, I've made a list of things I want to do before my sixtieth birthday. Hopefully I can achieve most of them before I turn forty. 

1. Ride in the sidecar of a motorcycle.
          Something tells me this is something I'll only want to do once. That doesn't make me want to do it less, though. If I had a motorcycle, I would obviously get a little sidecar just for Miranda.

2. Go to Paris.
          It's really a crying shame that I'm a professional fashion designer and have never been to Paris. I need to remedy this situation as soon as possible.

3. Ride in a hot air balloon:
          Since I'd be riding in a big basket, it only seems right I'd also be eating a picnic.

4. Have studio portraits made with Miranda:
          I don't know why, but I've always wanted to send out a Christmas Card with an Olan Mills-style photo on it, dressed as dorkily as possible. I should be able to make this happen, but somehow I haven't yet.

5. Buy a house.
          This doesn't seem particularly urgent, but I really do think Miranda would like to have a yard. It'd be hard to give up the built in maintenance man and swimming pool of an apartment complex, though. Of course, I did live in New York for six years without either, so I guess I'd survive. 

6. Publish a book.
          I'm not sure if I'm even picky about whether the book has words in it at all. It could be a coloring book. I know I've self-published several of those, but I think it would be really cool to have the backing of a publisher.

7. Become a gastro tourist.
          I would love to take up traveling based on cuisine. Between meals, I'll do whatever I want, but the food would be the main purpose. It's already one of my favorite parts of traveling to a new place, why not just make sure it's a built-in focus?

8. Make a quilt.
          I think this is on pretty much every crafty person's bucket list. I just want to do it. 

9. Go on a road trip across the US.
          I'm not one for tourist attractions, really. I don't need to read any plaques...unless they're about the art of portraiture. Then, I'm afraid I'm going to want to read them all. But that's beside the point. I just want to drive to the west coast, eating everything along the way and hopefully seeing some excellent thrift stores and flea markets as well. 

          I don't think I'd make it all the way from one end to the other, but it seems like it'd be a lot of fun. 


There are a lot more things for this list, but I think I may have my work cut out for me. Here's to the next decade and possibly the next thirty years!


Popular Posts