Audible Spinstering: Quiet


When I was in New York the Sunday before my birthday, I got to spend some time with one of the loveliest people I know. Her name is Phoebe, and she's brilliant. She, like I, is also an introvert. So, when she recommended I read (or, in my case, listen to) Susan Cain's Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, I downloaded it pretty much immediately. 

Quiet is an exploration of the introvert mentally, emotionally, and even physically. I knew I needed down time, but there were so many other things Cain mentions in her writing with which I completely identify yet never knew had anything to do with my introversion. For example, did you know that introverts are actually physically more sensitive than extraverts? Our tastebuds are often more active, explaining why, for one thing, I don't like coffee. Cain also explains why I always think my dad is watching TV or listening to music at much too high a volume. He's an extravert, and I'm an introvert. 

I am so impressed by this book, I could say a lot more about it. However, at least of my sake, I really think you should read it yourself, cover to cover. If you don't know me but you have a job or ever deal with other human beings at all, just go pick up a copy. It's really mind-blowingly informative. 

Hooray for Friday! Add this book to your book club and read it over the weekend. Thanks.

Popular Posts