Ginger Jones's Chocolate Chip Cake

 This weekend my friends Natalie and Dave hosted a family game day at their apartment complete with board games, baked goods, Monica's Bacon, espresso, chocolate Jam (incredible!),  and fun times. For the party, I decided on one my favorite recipes: "Ginger Jones's Chocolate Chip Cake." So far, this cake has been a hit at every party I've attended in New York, and it's so easy to make. Unfortunately this time I tried to take the cake out of the pan too soon which resulted in the cake fail photo you'll see below and to the right.

I would hesitate to share this recipe with all of you, but it seems that anyone lucky enough to receive their copy of the Bicentennial edition of the First Bapist Church of Sumter, SC cookbook will also have this recipe. Thus, it's no longer a secret. So, below, I will divulge one of the best cakes ever to come out of Sumter, SC. And in case you were wondering, yes it is good for breakfast.

What you'll need:
1 Boxed Yellow Cake Mix
4 Eggs
1 Small instant chocolate pudding (I always use Jello brand)
1 Small sour cream
1 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
3/4 Cup water
6 ounces Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

What to do:

1. Mix all ingredients but the chocolate chips.
2. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spoon
3. Bake in a greased bundt pan or tube pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

If you're like me, you need this reminder: You should let the cake cool in the pan for a while before you try getting it out. Otherwise, yours will end up looking like mine did. (Pictured to the right).

A few christmases go, my mom gave me a bundtlette pan which makes six tiny bundt cakes. They are so cute, and perfect for giving out at the office. However, if you want to make tiny cakes, reduce the baking time to around 20 or 25 minutes instead of 40.



Popular Posts