#6: Bake Something

One of the easiest ways to gain favor with anyone - whether it be in your office, your apartment building, your laundromat, or anywhere else is to bring baked goods. People especially like it when you've baked it yourself. That is, of course, unless you're a terrible cook. If you are, in fact a terrible cook, you should just try the old buy-the-food-and-put-it-on-a-plate-from-home trick. Works every time.

But let's assume for a moment that you have at least moderate skills when it comes to following a recipe. People love a little something sweet, especially after lunch and then again around 3pm. And then again after dinner. And then again for breakfast. So pick a recipe that you love or one you'd like to try and think can't fail. In the office, people are always  more than willing to try your kitchen experiment, especially if it involves chocolate.

The next thing to consider is portion size. My dad always said that you never know if everyone had enough unless there is some left over. While I think this is an excellent rule of thumb, in an office full of women, there will always be at least one of whatever you brought left on that plate. No one wants to be "that girl." Just make sure you have at least one for everyone and then one extra one. I learned this lesson the hard way when last year for Valentine's Day I made a mini bundtlette for each of my coworkers, but I accidentally forgot one I only worked with every now and then. I felt terrible, especially since everyone who did get one was raving about how delicious they were. Yes, I'm tooting my own horn. The recipe is good. Pudding is one of the main ingredients. But the point here is to make sure you have enough and then some.

The last tip I will give you is to put it on the edge of your desk so everyone will know you're the delightful spinster who brought these delicious treats. They will invariably ask you how you had time. And of course, the answer is, "I'm single." And aren't they glad you are?

Popular Posts