Audible Spinstering: Troublemaker

leah-remini-graphic, leah-remini-face, leah-remini-troublemaker, leah-remini-scientology


Now that I'm back in town and have found my apartment unburgled, I can say that I spent a lot of time on the road to and from New Jersey this holiday season. On the way there, I listened to Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, but I am sorry to say I cannot recommend it. It was basically a jazzed-up middle school text book. Not really my favorite. On the way back, though, I listened to something much more entertaining: Leah Remini's Troublemaker.

Now, you've probably seen a little about this book in the news, but just in case you haven't, it's about Remini's recent break with Scientology, and she does not hold back.

Remini's mother introduced her daughters to the church of Scientology when they were children, so all told she was part of the faith for some thirty years. Because of this, the depth of information she shares about the actual course work, auditing, and manual labor required in Scientology was much more expansive than I would originally have thought.

While this book is largely about Remini's exit from her long-held faith, there are also tidbits about her personal life and career that add a little spice. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say she's quite a fireball. Re: if you're offended by strong language, I don't necessarily suggest this book for you.

I will say this, though: listening to this book on tape as read by the author added something I would not have gotten by reading the book on my own. Leah Remini's accent and inflections are worth a listen. Her accent and chutzpah are charming.

I don't want to ruin anything else for you with regards to the book, but I think you may be surprised with the way in which Remini talks about her former faith. The book isn't a total scientology-bash, and I think you'll find it quite interesting, funny, and informative.

Popular Posts