Obsession Confession: Pulling Weeds

Growing up, my house had had a circular driveway, and during a lengthy phone conversation or just a very nice day, I liked nothing better than to pull the little weeds that grew up between the little cracks in the pavement.

Now, before you start leaving comments telling me you have a garden full of treats for me to pull, I think I need to clarify. The weeds that grow out of the cracks in pavement feel so much different when pulled than do the weeds in the soil. There's a sort of buttery smoothness to the action of pulling that can only come from a root that hasn't been given enough soil to which it can cling. The root comes out nice and clean, ready of inspection. The weeds that grow between the cracks in the pavement are especially delightful when their roots are long and singular.

The pool at my apartment complex here in Atlanta is paved all around by little octagonal cement tiles. Spotted around the perimeter of the pool, and especially beneath the lounge chairs, is a wealth of weeds waiting for my thumb and index finger. Every time I have to pass the pool on the way home from a run, I must fight the urge to stop and have a little therapeutic pulling time. This past friday night, however, I could not resist. I knew that the people in the fitness center could see me, but I could not help myself. And while I pulled, I thought to myself, "perhaps this is one of the reasons I am a spinster."

But, I wills ay this to you all: Don't knock it till you've tried it. Pavement weeds are pretty much the best.

Popular Posts