Audible Spinstering: Donna Tartt's THE GOLDFINCH

donna-tartt-the-goldfinch, donna-tartt-pulitzer-prize, donna-tartt-author, donna-tartt-author-website, donna-tartt-graphic, donna-tartt-suit, donna-tartt-bret-easton-ellis
As I mentioned before, for the past two or so weeks, I was listening to Donna Tartt's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, The Goldfinch on Audible.com. Until now, when I listened to books on Audible, I would fade in and out, paying attention when I remembered to make an effort. With this book, however, I was wholly rapt the entire time.

I don't want to ruin the book for you, but I do want to tell you a few things I learned from Ms. Tartt's Wikipedia page. I know, I know. Wikipedia is far from being a real and reliable source of information, but Tartt is apparently notoriously private, so I did the best I could. Mostly I just want to say that I found out she's from Mississippi, and she still has the accent. I heard her on the radio, and it's rather charming. Also, horror upon horrors, she apparently dated Bret Easton Ellis, author of American Psycho, before he actually wrote American Psycho. This I find terrifying, but she is clearly still alive and well.

Now, as for the book, I think the fact that it won her a Pulitzer Prize is probably enough of a recommendation. I can recommend it on the fact that is absolutely engrossing and action-packed. It has Art, furniture, drugs, jewelry, terrorism, travel, love, family, and pets. That isn't even the tip of the iceberg. The narrator, in the beginning at least, reminds me a little of Holden Caulfield of The Catcher in the Rye. This, of course, makes him infinitely endearing.

The book itself is a giant brick of a thing, but I must say I think it's worth lugging. I wish I had read it with my eyes, but as there is only so much time in the day, I had it read to me by a very capable reader. I loved it. But...if you are squeamish. It is definitely rated R....for all the reasons above except maybe art, furniture, family, and pets. And no, the pets are unfortunately not kittens.

Popular Posts