It takes a mighty good man to be better than no man at all.

In my late twenties, everyone tells me I'm not technically a spinster yet. Truly, spinsterhood may not be my ultimate fate, but then again it very well might be. For years, every time a boy broke my heart, I would be completely shattered. Every time I'd talk to my sister on the phone I'd end up hyperventilating with a runny nose and a horrifying drip pattern of mascara down my cheeks. Classy.

All my life my mom used to tell me the Dixie Carter quote, "It takes a mighty good man to be better than no man at all." I always thought this had something vaguely to do with men who drank to excess, were violent, farted in front of you on purpose, or picked their nose and wiped it on the furniture. But in the past year, I think i may have really figured out what is at the heart of this quote. It's not about fearing men who are less than perfect. It's about how gangsta it can be to be a single lady.

So, in honor of Dixie Carter's wisdom my mother passed onto me, I'm dedicating this blog to enjoying living in what Marjorie Hillis termed living in "solitary refinement." Well, as refined as eating oreos in your bed while watching an entire TV series in one hit on Netflix can be...

Popular Posts